1 Peter 2:2 - “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby”
How’s Your Spiritual Appetite? Are you hungry for God? It is possible to maintain a spiritual hunger for God for the rest of your life. How can we maintain a spiritual appetite?
1. Remind yourself how much God loves you. - The more you understand how much God loves you, the more you’re going to love him. The Bible says in Ephesians 3:18-19, “May you have the power to understand … how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.
2. Stop filling up on junk food - You are a spiritual being with a hole in your heart that only God can fill. When you try to fill it with salary, status, success, passion, possessions, power, prestige, or anything other than God, it’s not going to be fulfilling. Proverbs 15:14 says, “A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash.”
3. Make knowing God your number one goal. -Happiness is a byproduct of knowing God. Jesus says in Matthew 6:33, “Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well”
4. Get into God’s Word every day. - The Bible is food for your soul. Eating a meal once a week won’t keep you healthy. In the same way, you need to feed on God’s Word every day.
5. Appetite is influenced by association. - If you hang out with people who only care about politics, that’s all you’re going to care about. If you hang out with people who only care about sports, that’s what you’re going to care about. Join a godly group for support, because whatever you talk about when you’re with others is what you’re going to be hungry for.